Built between 1904 and 1906, Casa Batllo is one of the Antoni Gaudí’s most recognisable works thanks to the original remodelling of the façade, revised layout of the interior walls and expansion of the light well.
It is located at number 43 Paseo de Gracia and during the transformation period the Catalan architect worked with boundless creative freedom on the renovation of a public works building originally constructed in 1877 and later purchased by the Batlló family.
With this work Gaudí anticipates the thesis of rationalism, which would come 30 years later with his modern ideas on ventilation. Overall, it is a prodigy of ornamental design thanks to the emergence of specialist trades. Gaudí worked with the best craftsmen of all trades.